10 October 2008

Happy Thanksgiving and Maple Syrup & Poutine's 100 Canadian Foods to Consume

Hello all -- long weekend over here (Canadian Thanksgiving), so I'm just going to crash and take care of things around here...and hopefully come up with a tasty dessert for the turkey dinner.

In the meanwhile, Danielle from Maple Syrup and Poutine has come up with her own version of the VGT's Omnivore's 100 (my score is here). I think it's a great list...here's how I've done...The way I've done it is to grey out the ones I've not eaten (can't figure out the strikethrough command), the bits in blue are things I won't have and what's in pink are my comments.

Maple Syrup & Poutine's 100 Canadian Foods to Consume
1. Arctic Char

2. Ketchup flavoured chips
3. Wild Rice Pilaf
4. Caribou Steak
5. Gourmet Poutine
6. Screech
7. Beaver Tails
8. Maple Baked Beans
9. Bison Burger
10. Bumbleberry pie
11. Nanaimo bar
12. Butter Tarts
13. Cedar Planked B.C. Salmon (allergies)
14. Wild Blueberries
15. Pure Local Cranberry Juice
16. Chocolate from Ganong or Purdy’s
17. A cup of warm cider from your local orchard
18. Caesar
19. 4 of the following types of apples (Cortland, Empire, Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Spartan, Greensleeves, Liberty, Granny Smith, Red Delicious, Honeycrisp, Golden Russet, Idared, Gala
20. Freshly foraged mushrooms
21. Dinner cooked by Michael Smith, Susur Lee or Rob Feenie
22. Fondue Chinoise
23. Dish created from a Canadian Living Magazine recipe
24. Peameal Bacon Sandwich from St. Lawrence Market in Toronto (other places, yes, but not there)
25. Lobster bought directly from a boat in a Maritime harbour
26. Handmade perogies from your local church or market
27. Alberta Beef at an Alberta Steakhouse (I think so...I had Alberta beef in Alberta...can't remember if it was in a steakhouse, though)
28. Leamington Tomatoes
29. Roasted Pheasant
30. Wild Game hunted by someone you know
31. Ice Wine
32. Habitant Pea Soup – entire can
33. Any Canadian Artisinal Cheese
34. Bannock
35. Tourtiere
36. Flapper Pie
37. Jellied Moose Nose
38. Saskatoon Berries (qualification: in tea form)
39. Fish and Brewis
40. Screech Pie
41. Fiddleheads
42. Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich

43. Flipper Pie
44. Montreal Bagels with Smoked Salmon
45. Toutins
46. Jam Busters
47. Bakeapple Pie
48. Bridge Mixture (ooh...so addictive)
49. Canadian Style Pizza (bacon, pepperoni. Mushrooms)
50. Shreddies
51. A cone from Cow’s Ice Cream (they didn't have ice cream when I went to the one shop, but have had the candies and the hot chocolate.)
52. Lumberjack or Logger’s Breakfast
53. Jigg’s Dinner
54. Rappie Pie
55. Pemmican
56. Lake Erie Sturgeon Caviar
57. Belon Oysters
58. Brome Lake Duck
59. Beer from a stubby bottle.
60. A beer from Unibroue or Phillips Brewery.
61. Salt Spring Island Lamb
62. Fry’s Cocoa (Hey! What happened to the decent-sized cannisters? I can only find little ones now)
63. A bag of Old Dutch Potato Chips
64. Every Flavour of Laura Secord Suckers
65. Chicken Dinner from St Hubert’s or Swiss Chalet (blech)
66. Hickory Sticks
67. An entire box of Kraft Dinner (a serving...not a whole box)
68. Candy Apples (NOT caramel apples)
69. Corn from a roadside stand
70. A meal at Eigensenn Farm (it's on my list to do...)
71. Okanogan Peaches
72. Berkshire Pork
73. PEI Potatoes
74. Something cooked in Canola oil
75. Figgy Duff
76. Blueberry Grunt
77. High Tea at the Empress Hotel

78. Fresh maple syrup hardened on the snow
79. Oreilles de Christ
80. Nova Scotia Beer Warmer
81. A cheese plate containing Bleu Bénédictin, Friulano, St. Maure and Oka.
82. Black or red currant jam
83. Maple glazed Doughnut from Tim Horton’s with a Large “Double Double”
84. A glass of Mission Hill’s “Oculus”
85. Alberta Pure Vodka
86. Chokecherries
87. Canada Day Cake
88. Boulettes
89. Canadian Iced Tea
90. Mead
91. Fricot
92. Grandperes
93. Local honey
94. Creton on toast
95. Glen Breton Rare
96. A whole box of Smarties, where the empty box is then used as a kazoo (oh my dear...I haven't donte that in years)
97. Grilled cheese made with Canadian Cheddar
98. A meal from Harvey’s
99. Lake Erie Perch
100. Red Rose Tea


Have a great long weekend for those of you who have it...see you next week.

cheers!
jasmine




AddThis Social Bookmark Button

14 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love this one with Canadian Food.

Have an Happy Thanksgiving!

Mama Squirrel said...

Oreilles de Christ? I don't even want to know...I assume some kind of pastry?

BTW, Jasmine, to make strikethroughs, you put "strike" inside the pointy things before the text, and /strike after it, also inside the pointy things. (Blogger won't let me use them here.) If you forget, just highlight and put it in bold, then look at the code "strong" (you have to be in "Edit HTML" mode rather than "Compose," and change the word to "strike". Works for me.

Mama Squirrel said...

Oh--okay, I googled Oreilles de Christ.

Deep fried smoked pork jowls.

Would have preferred the pastries.

giz said...

I love this version - it's so Canadian. Happy Thanksgiving Jasmine.

Alanna Kellogg said...

Love it, love it, love it, am sending it to my Canadian family for a 'Thanksgiving present'.

Two suggestions: triticale and French fries with vinegar.

Mickle in NZ said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you have been relaxing and just sitting back. While, I expect, dreaming up a wonderful idea for Monday's dessert. Possibly a Beezlebub free idea? Enjoy your Monday holiday.
Huggles to you and the cats, Michelle and Zebby-cat from downunder.

DANIELLE said...

Thanks for putting this up. I'm still working on that list as well - gives me a great excuse to travel the country though!

- Danielle

K and S said...

this is a great list, happy thanksgiving!

Sara said...

what a great list! happy thanksgiving jasmine.

Aimée said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Jasmine! Hope you had a great turkey dinner.

glamah16 said...

I sthebeavers tail literal or figurative? I will google now.

Unknown said...

Oreilles de Christ are pork rinds.

I've had most of the vegetarian things on this list, and a handful of the meat ones from before I turned veg. There's a few things I'd add:

Buckwheat honey from the Laurentides
Garlic scapes (are those already on the list?)
Halifax donair
A sugar shack breakfast
Spruce tea and/or beer

Elizabeth said...

Hmmm, I read that Oreilles de Christ are pork jowls deep-fried and doused with maple syrup.

-Elizabeth

P.S. Jasmine, the strike-through command is either <del>text to be stricken</del> or <strike>text to be stricken</strike>

NKP said...

jellied moose nose?
I like this list, I have had about half.